Sunday, March 10, 2013

Shea Butter Soap

This soap is 1/4 shea butter.  Very rich and decadent.  It is expensive to make so I probably won't be adding it to my list of soaps that I make a lot.  This is from "The Soap Magician" and you can find the recipe on her video.

It moved very fast on me and after it was all over and I looked back at the recipe I saw where Sharon had done a water discount. Whoa...I should pay more attention.  I did a video of the making and you can see how quickly I was in over my head.  I can't wait to cut it and see how big the air pockets are.  There is no way I dodged the bullet on this one.


I did not upload the video of the making and cutting of this soap since I had so many air pockets.  I guess I could have and tagged it "what not to do."  I believe some things should be left to the imagination and the video of this soap is one of them.

I managed to salvage some of it and with the rest I made soap balls and added them to another batch of soap.










A couple of days ago I made castile soap.  Nothing but olive oil, water and lye.  I wanted a gentle soap to put in my layettes.  I will put this on the curing rack and leave it for 6 months.  I made a castile soap when I was first learning and I used a bar of it the other day and the ph tested 7.  That's about as good as it gets.  I had already decided to put a bar of soap for "Mom" in each layette, now there will be two in some of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment